Thursday, February 21, 2013

Swirlydoos Ultimate Designer Challenge WEEK 6

It's time for the 6th and final challenge of the Swirlydoos Kit Club Ultimate Designer Challenge.

The last 6 weeks have been an amazingly creative challenge and I thank the Ladies at the forum for hosting it.

This being week 6 the challenge was upped. You needed to A: use the following sketch AND B: incorporate the following techniques/ themes
Create your own background, layer mediums, mist etc.
Paper layering & distressing
Multiple photos, best clustering
AND
technique of your choosing 
(I altered chipboard)

This is the sketch we used, created by Beggahuna.
And this is how I went about creating my layout.

First I completely covered a 12x12 piece of watercolor paper with scraps from past Swirly kits and book text. The watercolor paper will prevent warping from occurring as I layer on mediums.



I then took an old credit card and swiped a layer of Gesso over the whole thing. Not to hide the patterns but tone it down and give it a uniform feel.

While the Gesso was still wet I misted it heavily with South Shore Sand mist from Lindy's Stamp Gang. I then dried the paint & mist with my heat gun.
I then pulled out my new favorite blue mist Tiffany's Blue also from LSG and misted randomly over the background.


Using a Pink Paislee stamp and a Prima stamp along with StazOn ink I stamped randomly over the bg. I used Stone Grey ink as I wanted it to sink into the background a bit instead of popping off.

I misted some cheesecloth with Crushed Shells glimmer mist from Tattered Angels and used Gel Medium to adhere it to my bg. I also traced a circle so I would have a reference point as I continued to build my lo.

More stamping, this time with a script stamp from Kaisercraft.  I also began tearing and layering paper from 7 Dots Studio as well as some Washii tape.

A few border stickers from 7 Dots Studio were also applied over the tirn paper layers and in the upper left corner. Chalk ink was rubbed through a Crafter's Workshop stencil in spots for more layer.

I took my sewing machine and sewed on a circle of lace over my drawn circle. I then took Modeling Paste and put it through a snowflake stencil also from Crafter's Workshop in places.

I altered chipboard from Dusty Attic (snowflakes I had been hoarding) by first painting with Lake Mist paint dabber, then stamping on once dry with a script stamp and StazOn. I then covered with watermark ink and Holographic embossing powder to give it sparkle but still show the underlying pattern.
Once all the chipboard had been altered I layered it with my photos and some flourishes I cut into pieces. 
I also used my palette knife to apply Clear Granular Gel in spots. Once that dried I covered it with white Gelato to mimic snow.
The final bit was my tittle. Cork letters by Little Yellow Bicycle which I also rubbed white Gelato on again for the snow look.

Finally I was finished. I matted it on a piece of dark brown card stock to give an almost framed look and distressed the edges rubbing on some final brown ink.


A few closeups:
here of some layering and paper tearing


here of the Modeling paste and chipboard

My cheesecloth, cork letters and Granular Gel


and just a shot that makes me happy. The grinning face of the little one



  6 weeks of challenges have come and gone. This has been a wonderful inspiringly creative time. I'm so glad I clicked on the "join now" button.


Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

1 comment:

Jacqueline Smith said...

OMG this so fabulous, love all the colors and the details on your scrapbook page! Awesome Job!!