Friday, February 8, 2013

Swirlydoos Ultimate Designer Challenge WEEK 4


It's time for week 4 of the Swirlydoos Kit Club Ultimate Designer Challenge.
For week 4 the challenge was this
Create a TEXTURED CANVAS project, wherein you create your own background using the following techniques and mediums:
  • Layering of your mediums
  • Misting
  • Use a mask or template
  • Various texture mediums (Glass beads, modeling paste, gesso, molding paste, etc) Think TEXTURE & LAYERING of your mediums.
  • Paint (doesn't matter what kind)

Needless to say I was excited. I love working on canvases but never seem to have the time. I got to play all week because of this challenge. YAY!!!

This is my finished canvas. I wound up doing a 12x12 size just because it's not a typical one that I work on.

Below is photo of most of the supplies I used. Not show is the chicken wire stencil from The Crafter's Workshop, Paint Dabber in Lake Mist, Gesso,  some stamps, and the various dies & embossing folders I used.

All the paper is from 7 Gypsies and really worked with the look I was going for.

After covering my canvas with 2 coats of Gesso I placed some torn book text and scraps of 7 Gypsies paper down, then covered with another light layer of Gesso. I misted it heavily with mists from both Lindy's Stamp Gang and Tattered Angels. Using a foam brush I added Golden Glaze in Seafoam Green over spots and when it was dry I then stamped in spots with a Prima stamp and StazOn.


I then took my Modeling Paste and applied it heavily in the upper left and lower right corners of my canvas and pressed in a piece of Dusty Attic chipboard to give it the texture I wanted. When it was dry I misted it again.

I then layered some tags and scraps of patterned paper that I had misted and inked. Then using my chicken wire stencil and Dry Sand ink from Prima added more pattern to my background.

I added some Washi tape in spots and then added my image (also from a piece of 7 Gypsies paper). I then used my palette knife to randomly apply Granular gel in spots. It's white when you first put it down but as it dries it becomes mostly clear with a lot of shimmer and texture. Once it was completely dry I went over it with some Gelatos and Silks acrylic paint. I also added spots of more color using the same products in random spots.

I took some pieces of chipboard and, after covering with Gesso, ran it through an embossing folder. I then colored it with Gelatos and Silks Acrylic in Honey Amber. There's more shine to them than the photo shows.


I added some Lake Mist paint dabber is spots and then added my quote after printing it on a piece of pp, cutting it out and inking it.
I used a Grey Pastel pencil to scribble around and then smudged it all with my finger for more highlights.

The flowers are made using a TH die and cut from lares and layers of tissue paper. They were then misted with Tattered Angels mist and inked to match the background.

Just another closeup of the texture. As a final touch I went back with a script stamp and StazOn ink and randomly stamped in spots.

Make sure you check out the Swirlydoos Gallery to see all the other week 4 entries.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

No comments: